LORD, you alone are my portion and my cup; you make my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6 NIV
I love this passage, in fact this morning I have been thinking on all of Psalm 16. What a psalmist David is, skillfully weaving words to paint a picture of walking with God. He knew how to run hard. He knew how to defend himself, and his people. He knew how to fight, but also how to yield himself to God, totally surrendered. He also delighted in God's inheritance for him.
Last year in looking for loot on the beaches of Hibiscus Coast, I found an old boundary peg. It is weather beaten and worn - I love it! I tidied it up to give to friends who also are exploring new paths and pleasures, exploring the boundaries of their inheritance.

Psalm 2 also talks about inheritance. 'Ask of me, and I will give you the nations as your inheritance, and the ends of the earth as your possession.'
I found myself writing of this one day two and a half years ago. My mum died the next morning, very unexpectedly....'Inheritance is something that comes to us either at the death of a parent, or when we reach a place of maturity.
I have a sparkling crystal in my top drawer. Ever since Becky was a little girl she has asked if I will leave it to her in my will. Every now and again she asks to take it out and she looks at it. That is what our inheritance is like. My inheritance is something that I look forward to - it is precious. It is something we look after, put time into caring for and managing, instead of a gift just given to us - plonk, here are the nations. If the nations become my possession, then they are mine, they are my familiar, something I am proud of. If I have asked God for them, they are also my wanted possessions.'
Do you know what 'inheritance' is God wanting you to ask Him for? Your inheritance will become your familiar, treasured possession.It is worth pondering on!
No comments:
Post a Comment